Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Day 16 - To Alvaiazere

To Santiago de Compostela: 431.5 km
Walked today: 22 km
Total walked: 241.1

Up at 5 am, Carlos had us back in Ponte do Ceras by 6 am.  After the heat of 30 C plus yesterday the morning was cold.  We had our rain jackets on and I had yo get my gloves.  The temperature was probably under 10 C. It was windy and I could see my breath. It was also very cloudy.

After we got out of the town, we had another strep hill but this time thru woods of cork and eucalyptus trees.  Very beautiful.  Once we got up the hill and with the sun coming out we had magnificent views.

In general the walk was uneventful.  We lost our way once bit a Portuguese lady set us in the right path and later an English lady that lives in these parts gave us directions in English.

In total we walked around 20 km to town.  We stopped at the supermarket and later had a sandwich.  By then the temperature was up to around 20C.

We are tired, we are walking much better than at the begging bit our bodies are still complaining of the treatment.  We are going slow.  We probably could walk around 20 km a day but usually that is not an option because the lack of facilities.  It is 15 or 30.  30 km is definitely too much for me.

We lost a day when we went to Fatima do all our friends are now a day ahead.  We particularly miss our gringuitas from Virginia.  We spent a fair amount of time with them and we really like them.

Now we are resting and a bit later we are going for dinner.  I hope it is not bacalhau
again. Portuguese people seem to really like it but you can have too much of a good thing.

Today I go back to my Lady, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Mary my mother, and I ask her to pray for all of pilgrims.




No comments:

Post a Comment